Ryan said in mile 21 his calves and hamstrings cramped up terribly. He had to continually stop to stretch. His goal was to break 4 hours. At the half way point he was on track with an 8:33 pace. During the last 1/2 mile a sudden cramp made him almost fall over. He caught a post to brace himself and another runner yelled at him "RUB IT OUT!". Then a lady spectator came to his rescue and started rubbing his cramp! Say What!? This might tip the scale for him wanting to run another marathon.
Fast forward to almost the end of the video clip to 4:06:08 which is the earliest time you can see me come into the camera view. I was wearing a yellow shirt, black shorts, and white hat. I cross the finish line at 4:06:16 and rip my earphones out in frustration."
6 comments:
Hey - Did I get some great pictures or what of our 'Marathon Man'. :o)
Oh, just for the record, Nana had to get up at 4:00 Sunday morning. Our Marathan Man got up at 4:30 so he could consume his banana and oatmeal.
True, it was quite a drive, but good ol Uncle G maneuvered through all the side streets (all the main access streets including the main 163 freeway were closed for the race) and got us within the east side of Balboa Park - we walked our Marathon Champ to the starting line - then maneuvered back through to the airport authority parking (still approx. 1 1/2 miles from the finish line) so that we could have a front row to cheer and yell when our 'champ' came in and passed over the finish line. I have to admit - although really excited and proud of our 'Man'- - when he came around the curve & the closer he got, I was a little, no very concerned, we were not going to have to get parametics...He didn't look too good. When we met him at the Runner Exit, he swore this was his very first and very last marathon race. But just as mommies swear the same during the labor part of giving birth - - the pain is soon forgotten for the joy of why you endured it. Our 'Champ' - towards late Sunday - was realizing what he had actually accomplished; all the great runners he met from all over the world & country; and by golly he did it. In short, our Marthan Man couldn't talk about anything for the rest of the day & wonder what he could do to overcome the crippling cramps that overtook him at the 20th mile.
It was a great, fun, incredible weekend. Went back to work Monday to rest. :o) Kidding of course.
It was a weekend of winners. Our niece's cheerleading squad took first place as the Best Cheering Squad along the race route.
Proud Nana
Just wanted to add - I couldn't resist taking the picture of our 'Marathon Man' when he literally crashed into bed when we got back home about 2:00ish Sunday. At 3:00, I thought he would want to ride along with Uncle G & me (had to make a quick trip to Escondido)- - I couldn't even get a response. He had rubbed this muscle relaxing cream that was handed out the previous day at the Convention Center - it worked on the musles and our Man didn't awake until about 4:30 as he was 'HUNGRY'...
:o)
Love it! Congrats Ryan that is amazing...you are making me look bad though, i am working my butt off to run a 5k! miss you.
Good Job Ryan. The kids and I watched your video. Why anyone would want to volunteer to run that far without being chased is beyond me. What an accomplishment though! Congrats!
Kristy
Holy COW!!! Man o man.
Just found out that my mom's neighbor and his daughter ran in the Rock n' Roll Marathon in San Diego too. I saw a picture at her house and I recognized it right away from your blog, but they were an hour behind Ryan. Way to go Ryan!!!!!
Post a Comment