As I was sitting at the computer today I heard Emily say something. I think my brain hesitated a moment because I don't think I wanted to face the reality of my daughter saying "Crapage". After the moment I controlled my voice as much as I could and said "What did you just say?" She then said "um, darnit?" With a less controlled voice I asked her again and stressed the importance of being honest. Then she said "um, crapage?" in a teeny tiny voice, like she didn't know what she'd said.
Now I have to admit that we don't use typical cuss words in our house. Ryan's cuss of choice is "DAMAGE" and it is usually followed by him chucking something at whatever he is trying to fix. If I'm within earshot of him I'll usually pipe back at him "Shitage" because I think he is silly. If you're going to cuss just do it. We of course don't feel this way about our newly turned 8 year old! No cussing of any kind, please.
Back to her-she got to sit with soap in her mouth and then sit on her bed for a little while to think about why she should tell the truth so that people can trust her. She ended up falling asleep during her pensive time. Probably because she stayed up until midnight with a little friend that slept over, another post for a later time.
After she woke up and she ate dinner. Then, I wanted to wrap things up and let her know that I really want to trust her and I know I can. At some point of our talking about trust and being a good friend she looked worried. She started talking about one of her friends that says "Crap" and "Crapage". She said "Mom, I feel bad for Bertha (name has been changed), she probably has to have soap in her mouth a lot. She always says that and she says "butt" all the time too." I asked what she thought about it and she replied "well, I wouldn't want do it, then I'd have to soap in my mouth like ALLLLL day!"
Am I mean? At least I know I'm not the only one that isn't a fan of the word "butt".
guaranteed to have typ-os, run-on sentences, incorrect punctuation's but at least it's all true
_____________________________________________
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
What did you just say?!
Posted by The Henries at Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Labels: emily, life lessons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
We've had some pretty good talks about bad words at our house. Jack has asked me what every "real" bad word that I can think of means. We've talked about why we don't say them. We've also talked about how sometimes people use other words as if they are bad words. Unfortunately everyone here uses bad language. At Jack's school I saw little first graders flipping each other "The Bird" I was so saddened by it.
I think you're a great mom. We've used hot sauce before but I realize that it isn't as effective with all of my boys usually just David. I also think kids want to be so grown up at times they say the words they hear other people say. Mike and I don't use real cuss words per se but we say crap and what not when frustrated. I over heard some kids one day that were angry about something and they said "I'm so mad I want to use words I'm not old enough to use" I thought how sad that it seems it's an age requirement or rite of passage to be able to cuss like getting your drivers license.
Sorry I"m so long winded. Good to hear from you again. We sure missed everyone. I'll hopefully make it to the post office soon to mail Emily's present. We've had quite a crazy week.
Post a Comment