guaranteed to have typ-os, run-on sentences, incorrect punctuation's but at least it's all true

_____________________________________________

Thursday, October 9, 2008

What Have We Done?

For at least a year Emily has wanted to get her ears pierced. I didn't really care when she got them done as long as she was responsible enough to take care of them. Ryan on the other hand wanted her to wait until she was married! I think the thought of "his little girl" growing up is really hard on him. He would ask me "what next, she'll want to wear make-up". After some persuasion on my part Daddy caved. I didn't see the sense in making it a big deal . We told her that we felt she was doing a great job making great choices and so we could trust her to be responsible enough to get them done. YIPPEE!
So, while Carlie was at a friend's birthday party Ryan and I took Emily to the mall. A friend had taken her daughter there and recommended it. We go to the Piercing Pagoda and Emily is beaming looking at the choices. She finally settled on a tiny pink flower with an even tinier diamond-ish middle.
After Ryan read and reread the consent. I'm not kidding! He read it and thought it over for seriously 10 minutes if not more. The woman piercing her ears had her sit down, we all needed to after waiting for Ryan to sign, and started marking her ears. The left one she did first and it looked perfect. The right one though we kept having her rub off and do again. Then I agreed on the placement and she prepped Em's ears. She was a champ! She sat there and didn't even wince when the piercing gun snapped the stud in. Again the left ear was first and it looked great. Then the right, SNAP! and Emily looks at us beaming waiting for reassurance of her cuteness.
I instantly feel sick! The earring is way too high on the right side! Emily hops down and comes and gives us a hug. We are telling her they look great and inside I'm freaking out! "WHAT DID I JUST DO TO MY PERFECT KID?"! I whisper to Ryan "it is soooo off!". After his initial "I told you we should have waited" he says "what do we do now?" I had no idea. What do you do when your kid's dream has come true and it is totally botched! We keep walking to exit the mall and Emily is still beaming. I'm really sick now.
We get home and I go to clean her ears and I find it! There on her right ear is the dot where she was supposed to be pierced! It was like 1/10 of an inch above it. It wasn't even on the DOT! What have I done? I had to break it to Emily that we had to get it done again. It was late so I didn't know what to do. Should I take it out or not? She was heartbroken thinking that she might have to walk around with only one ear pierced until she could get the other one done again.
But you know what that kid did? I started talking to her about how she has a birth mark on one side of her face and how if anyone noticed they'd probably just think she'd lost her other earring. I said that then she could tell them the story of the bad piercing lady and they'd probably laugh. And she was like "okay, I guess that could be funny". Man she is better than I am!
Fortunately, it wasn't the case. We went the next morning to the mall again. I had the lady repierce her little ear. She didn't flinch again. She was so happy that it was done. But the freakish woman still didn't get it on the mark. It is a little higher than I'd have placed it but I'll get over it. Emily loves it and after the pretzel I got her she might want to go back to the mall again.
Poor Carlie though, she's well, screwed! I don't know if I could do it again!

{This is the good ear, you can see the bad ear above}

4 comments:

simon and amy said...

Her earrings look great! No one will ever notice if they are off. In fact, looking at my earrings, I think they are crooked - I never noticed that before. Way to go Emily for being a great kid!

Nana said...

I don't know that her Nana could have watched. She is such a cute sweetheart!!!!
XXOOOXXXX

Henrie Arabian Nights said...

Camille had a daddy daughter day a few Saturdays back and decided to do the same thing. They searched most of the day for a place that actually does ear piercing in Dubai, finally found one, picked out the earrings and had her up in the chair when... Cami chickened out! She did a 180 and still says she isn't going to do it until she is a teenager.

jolyne77 said...

As long as she FEELS pretty, right? You can't even tell they're crooked...honest. Its just cause you're the Mom.

The other week when Hailey cut ALL of Emma's hair off...I toyed with the idea of getting her ears pierced so people wouldn't think she was a boy. But I have since given her a nice pixie cut and we gel her up every morning. Eh..I'm getting used to it.