So I'm at my friend's house and my cell phone rings...I answer and it is Ryan. He tries to politely ask when I'm coming home. I tell him that I'm at a friend's and that is a difficult question to answer. I tend to gab, I know you're not surprised. Then he says "well, I have to run to the post office". Say WHAT!? Our taxes haven't been filed?
I tell him I'll leave in about 10 minutes. Being the very considerate and giving wife that I am I offer to take them. I'm thinking that it will be a quick little jaunt to the post office since they already have postage. WRONG-GO BONG-GO!
I walk in (11:10pm)and become the 21st person in a non-moving line. There wasn't anyone working there only an automated machine. In order for you to have your mail post marked you had to buy postage. And well for me that meant you had to do it again. Fine, it is only 42 cents or has it gone up again? It took the only person I saw work the machine 4 minutes and then it crashed. A woman about 6th back in line tried to assure us in the back "oh, don't worry it happens all the time". Why should that make it better? 10 minutes pass! it is now 11:20pm.
I'm waiting, waiting, trying to break the bitter silence. People like me don't do well when people are silent. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I was trying to rally everyone together. I asked if anyone brought their guitar and suggested that one person buys all the postage and we pay them. I can feel my heart getting anxious.
I call my friend that I know is up. Her husband says that their post office closed at 5:00pm. OH MAN! Then someone mumbles about another office that is open. My ears perk up and I ask where it is. After they explain, I realize that it will take me at least 20 minutes to get there.
I announce that I'm going to the McKnight PO. Then I offer to take anyone's taxes. I had bonded a bit with these people. And apparently they had with me too. I was swarmed and my hands were suddenly full of other people's tax papers. Ladies were trying to hand me money and I thought "forget the money give me your envelope I have to run!" One woman shouted at me "God Bless You! I'll pray you get all green lights" and I am and I did. I have to say also that it renewed my faith in people. I loved that we all banded together and trusted each other. A woman didn't have postage and another woman told her not to worry and gave her two stamps. America is beautiful.
As I walked out I wanted to say "Hey, I'm one of those Mormons!" I didn't but lately I've wanted to. Sorry, that is another subject.
I run to my car and start the trek. Then I realize that these people have no idea who I am. I count the envelopes to make sure I drop off the same amount I was given, 20 total. As I'm driving I'm cautious to the 40 mph speed limit. I don't go over 47 mph so that I don't get a ticket and waste valuable time. Did I mention I didn't know where this PO was? I knew it was on McKnight road and on the right side but that was it. After going through all green lights...I see it! It is 11:40pm. I walk in and up to the drop off and my job is done. But what now about all those trusting people? They aren't getting the same sense of relief that I am and I don't know how to tell them.
Truth be told, I'm way too much of a control freak to give my taxes to someone else to mail. I wouldn't be able to sleep. I wrote an email to one of the local stations. I asked them to give a "shoutout" to the Cranberry crowd at the PO last night and let them know that the crazy peppy lady at the post office made it with time to spare! I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure if they do "shoutouts".
FYI-Ryan's deadline next year is now February 28th.
guaranteed to have typ-os, run-on sentences, incorrect punctuation's but at least it's all true
_____________________________________________
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
It's April 15th Do you KNOW where your taxes are?
Posted by The Henries at Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love this story! God Bless America and good people like you Shellie!
great story. What a fun adventure. I would have trusted you but no one else. If Shellie's on the job it'll get done. :)
Post a Comment