guaranteed to have typ-os, run-on sentences, incorrect punctuation's but at least it's all true

_____________________________________________

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

New York City Without Kiddos

Ryan and I left the girls with some crazy, I mean great friends for the weekend. We met up with Amy & Simon and took off for our New York City adventures. Thanks to same day tickets we were able to see Curtains. We sat in the last row orchestra. Amy and I had wanted to sit next to each other but thanks to a lady with puffy hair and her tall male companion in front of us, we couldn't.
I've never been able to see facial expressions before on cast members. It was so different from squinting through a pair of binoculars. Ryan and I have been season ticket holders for Broadway in Pittsburgh but we get the nose bleeds. This was great! I think we might be spoiled.

I'm getting ahead of myself. When we first got in the city we went to the temple. Ryan and I seem to arrive lately when they are doing the Spanish session. Which is fine for him but just because someone looks like they know Spanish it doesn't mean they do. So I was given headphones and they kept asking my very Caucasian husband if he was for sure about doing the session in Spanish. It was a great way to start our day. And somehow still comical. I think when you're with friends that is just what happens where ever you go. Simon was nice enough to carry our church clothes in his man bag. Poor guy lugged it all day but never complained once! It was a huge blue duffle bag. I can't believe we didn't get a picture of him!
Before going to the show we ate at John's Pizzeria. YUMMY! Well, at least I think it was. It is hard to tell when you inhale your dinner. We were all so hungry, seeds and hot tamales can only get you so far. I'll talk about that more later.
The funny part is what happened while we were crammed in the bar waiting area. There was only one place to sit while waiting, a single piano bench. I'd been keeping my eye on it so as soon as the people that were sitting there got their number posted on the scoreboard seating system-I moved in. I motioned for Amy to follow. It was wobbly but we were happy. There was a youngish couple standing next to us. The man's leg kept rubbing mine so I started feeling like I should talk to them. Neither Amy or I are very shy, we both tend to chat to anyone we make eye contact with. So we ask the couple where they're from and what they do. Then we probe a little further asking about how they met. They both are silent and the girl says "I'm so embarrassed" to him. Then they disappear! They literally walked away from us! Amy and I are both thinking it was because of us. Then they walk back by and said their number had been posted-SURE! I think they paid off the hostess so they could get away from the two badgering ladies asking questions. I thought we'd been nice. We even told them they were doing something right since they were still talking to each other and we had left our men. Let me clarify that, we didn't leave them as much as we'd been separated by the crowd and there was only enough room on the piano bench for two.

What is it with guys and seeds? Ryan had to get Jim Bean JalapeƱo Seeds before our drive. Then Simon and Ryan joined forces and got BBQ at our first gas station. Simon put a mouth full in, a mixture of both.
We also had Hot Tamales. Which just to warn you will burn your tongue if you eat enough of them. I can't imagine anyone doing that but if someone were to it takes about three days for your tongue to heal. Notice the seeds that our Dingmen have. And Ryan would like for me to add that they were on a slant. He really isn't a foot shorter than Simon.

We felt and acted like kids the entire time. Ryan even said he felt like a "Bad Dad" because he was having so much fun that he didn't worry about the girls. I think it also helps when you know your kiddos are safe and having an adventure of their own. I can't imagine anything I'd change other than eating Hot Tamales for lunch. We're so glad we shared these memories with you guys! Can't wait for our next trip! Boys get your seeds-

2 comments:

simon and amy said...

What a fun weekend! Email me the rest of the pictures when you get a "free moment". I won't be posting them, but just to have for memories sake. Miss you guys!

Mary Monster Mary said...

Sounds like a wonderfully fun double date. I'd love to go with Mike but that's not going to happen. I am going with an old friend from high school. We'll stay with Ainsy to save on money and play with her when she isn't working. I'm really looking forward to it as I've never been to NYC. Tips are welcome. :)